Overseas Criminal Record check (OCR)

DBS checks do not include information from overseas police forces, which means that people who have recently moved to the UK may be required to also obtain an Overseas Criminal Records (OCR) check.

Do I need an OCR check?

You will need an OCR check if you meet all three of the below criteria:

  1. In the last five years, you have lived in another country/countries outside of the UK
  2. You have lived in that country/countries for a continuous period of at least 6 months 
  3. You intend to apply for LTA Qualifications, Coach Accreditation, Official Licence or work/volunteer as a Welfare Officer.

Note: tennis venues are advised to adopt a similar process when engaging staff/volunteers from

Applying for an OCR check

Below you can find guidance on the application process for a number of countries. If your country is not in the link shown below, please contact the Safeguarding Team for support.
Countries A to F: Afghanistan to France
Countries G to P: Gambia to Portugal
Countries Q to Z: Qatar to Zimbabwe

Frequently asked questions

To find out more about OCRs please visit our Help & FAQs.